Sunday, May 20, 2012

Miracles have not ceased to exsist

 This is how the week began... in Chase's new high chair! We went to get this not long after his Immunizations on Tuesday. He handled the shots like a champ with just a few tears. On Wedneday afternoon, I noticed what seemed to be a few bug bites on his leg. That was perplexing though because we hadn't been outside but I figured they would just go away soon. Then I went on a run and left Chase with Jon and within 45 minutes his face looked like it was getting blotchy and red. By the time I put him down for a nap there were more bumps and it looked like hives were forming. I called the doctor after he went down and they said it was too hard to tell over the phone what it might be so I should just go ahead and bring him in. We got the last appointment of the day and the doctor said he was having an allergic reaction to something he either ate or touched. She said it was unlikely it was from the immunizations because he had already had two sets of them before this with no reaction. She told me to give him one does of Claritin once a day until the hives were gone. Doctor said it would last for 2-5 days. She said if it begins to affect his breathing or he begins coughing or has a significant fever or begins to throw up, to bring him in again. It was quite worrisome to me because I had no idea what he could have reacted to that he had not been introduced to in the last seven months. The next 4 pictures are from that evening after we still thought it was an allergic reaction.



 He didn't sleep very well that night and by Thursday morning the hives had gotten significantly worse, his eyes were puffy and all through the day the hives seemed to get more red and more puffy. By midmorning, it seemed like his hands were losing color and that bruising was coming up. I called the doctor again and she said she wasn't surprised it had gotten worse after he had slept because of how warm he was while sleeping but to give the medicine 24 hours to really kick in. I'm thinking, "I have to sit here and watch my baby suffer without being able to do anything for him?" I felt like it was torture. That morning he didn't take a very good nap so for his afternoon nap I held him as I rocked him and he slept for over an hour. I conked out for a few minutes too as I was very tired also. He was hot to the touch due to the hives but I felt that during hid nap he got much hotter. He was also very restless and was trying to scratch his skin. Once he woke up, his temperature was 100.2. I again called the doctor and asked if I could give him tylenol in conjunction with the Claritin which was fine and asked her about the discoloration which was also getting worse. I then got one of the last appointments for the day and brought him in a little before 5pm. As I was in the weighting room the doctor came to look at him and said that this was more than hives but some uncommon virus that causes hives. Once finally in the room, she showed Jon and I pictures of what the virus had caused in other patients and of course the worse case scenario which could cause hospitalization (I hate when they tell you worse case scenario even though I realize it's necessary). She explained that the bruising was part of the virus that was more prevalent around his joints. The virus was supposed to last anywhere from 1-3 weeks, which I thought was agony. Poor little guy was pretty upset at the doctors office, I think he was tired of being poked and prodded seeing that was his third time at the doctors office in the 3 days. So we went home with the instructions to keep him on tylenol every 4-6 hours and Claritin still just once a day. He woke up twice that night, which I was happy about because I wanted him to get as many fluids as possible and to check his fever. He also had a very runny nose, which made it hard for him to suck. The next 4 pictures are of that night.



I didn't take any pictures when the worst peaked, there was very little white anywhere on his body at one point, it even creeped into his hair. Then, finally the medicine started working and he began to get better. By Saturday morning his temperature was gone and his hives were half gone. Seriously such a blessing. 

Another part of the story that made it more stressful to me is that I was supposed to work all day Friday and Saturday. It would have been fine if he weren't sick because Jon was off Friday and didn't work until 3pm on Saturday and then a friend was going to watch him. Chase doesn't do as well with a bottle as he does nursing and I just wanted him to be comfortable. Although it wasn't the best thing for work, I came in late on Friday and left early on Saturday and it was fine in the end.

These were picture of him Saturday afternoon. By today, only one hive remained. Also, he hasn't totally figured out how to crawl but he is up on all fours (as you can see in the picture). I think he is figuring out what his knees are supposed to do but not his hands. He also has begun to say dada which Jon is thrilled about.

I believe that prayer healed him. I sent out a few mass texts once we new what it was and asked friends and family to pray for him. His name was put on prayer rolls at 3 different temples. To me this shows that Heavenly Father is aware of all of his children and I am very grateful for his tender mercies. I realize that not all sicknesses are to be healed this quickly nor that more trials won't come, I am just very grateful Chase only had to suffer a few days. I love Heavenly Father and am grateful for the love that he showed to our sweet son and the lesson he taught to a young mother.

2 comments:

  1. Holly, I am really glad you posted about that experience. His little hands looked blue. He sure is a cutie, and growing up so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how awful. Poor, sweet boy. I'm SO glad it's over for all of you!

    ReplyDelete